Thursday, January 2, 2014

Being CONTENT in 2014

Hello to a New Year! I honestly can't believe that it's already 2014, but I am fully ready to embrace it.

More than anything I am ready for this fresh start - for a chance to reflect and refocus. I was looking back on my blog posts from the beginning of the year, and chuckle a bit because I was tired, and mostly just hoping for more sleep. There weren't any thought-provoking posts about resolutions, just photos and tiredness. Such is life as a mom, but thankfully I can say that at the close of 2013 I did in fact find myself in a world where losing sleep was an oddity and not the norm.

While being Harry's mom is still a huge part of my life, it has also become more normal. Sure he's still changing and parenting is both a joy and a challenge as we face new stages all the time, but it's not as overwhelming. It's just life as we now know it.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that I'm happy to report that I've reached a stage in my life where I think I can be more intentional here on my blog. I know I've said it many times before, but seriously...I had no idea how many ups and downs there'd be during the first two years of mommy-hood!

There is no way to tell what 2014 will bring, and rather than list off a bunch of things I'm going to strive for this year, my goal is to simply be content: no matter what the circumstance, how much sleep I get, how clean/dirty my house is, what kind of clothes I'm wearing, how other people treat me, how I'm feeling at any particular moment, etc.

Being content, truly C O N T E N T in all things this past year has been a challenge. I actually hate to admit it because when I sit down and look at my life, it is overflowing with blessing and things that I should be constantly thanking God for. Yes, I have been thankful in the past year, but I've also spent too much time grumbling, not out loud but in my heart. God knows my heart better than I do...and I want to honor Him in not just the things that I do, but in the attitude of my heart.

So here's to a new year and a fresh start. To a year that I am going to be continually relying on Christ to change me, and give me the true contentment that I long for. It's certainly not going to come from my stubborn, selfish, sinful nature...but I have hope and expectation that in Christ it is possible to be content, in all things. To praise Him in the storms and the joys that will surely come this year.


...for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be CONTENT.  I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.  I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

| Philippians 4:11-13 ESV |

1 comment:

  1. Love this!
    Happy New Year to you and many blessings on your 2014! :)

    ReplyDelete