Friday, January 9, 2015

MEDIA :: Day 8/9

I'm pretty sure Scandal (TV Show that I'm clearly addicted to) started back up last night.

Instead, I read a book in bed before I fell asleep.

And then I dreamt about Instagram. Literally my dream was scrolling through the photo stream. For what felt like most of the night.
.    .    .

Josh was asking me what I really meant by media last night. 

Here's what the dictionary says:
media: (usually used with a plural verbthe means of communication, as radio television, newspapers, and magazines, that reach or influence people widely.
I think for the purposes of my fast...media to me means "technology that I am spending way too much time on". The three biggest culprits were Netflix, TV, and Instagram. Other contenders: Words with Friends, email (incessantly checking it, even when nothing new or interesting was in my inbox), Brit & Co (like pinterest, but the content is contributed by writers...kind of like a magazine-app)...to name a few.

So cutting all of these out, and taking all of my notifications off of my phone has freed me up some of that wasted time. I still mindlessly reach for my phone to distract or entertain myself. But there's not much to do there this month.

So instead, I've been spending more time reading books with Harry. And I've clearly been reading more for myself at night before bed.

Thank you "Media Fast" for helping me to quiet my mental space down.

In the quiet I am learning new things about myself and about God, which was the reason why I wanted to do this in the first place.

But it's not really the lack of media I should thank. It's truly Jesus, awakening in my a new way of living. A less-connected to technology and hopefully (in time) more connected to people and things that are life-giving. Not just to me, but to the people around me...

...so many thoughts but for now I'll leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment