Thursday, August 16, 2012

Reflecting on Thankfulness

Well, I'm exhausted. But thankful. SO VERY Thankful!

I am thankful for the sunshine (and air conditioning...if your house is sweltering come on over), for my husband, son, and family, for friendships and laughter, and for today.

Whenever something traumatic happens in life, it's such a good reminder to slow down and take things one day at a time.

Which is what we've been doing.

Taking things

one

day

at a time.

Since my Grandpa went into the hospital last Friday night, the items on my list don't seem as urgent as they did before. Instead of dusting, vacuuming, and putting the laundry away I've been cherishing time with people. We've spent many hours in the hospital, and now the rehabilitation center my Grandpa is staying in.  In the midst of heartache however, we have been able to share time with family and friends, cherishing the moment together.

Today my friend Carrie hosted lunch at her house. This is just one example of moments I am so thankful to share with people I love. While we were chatting around the table after lunch, Carrie snapped this adorable photo of Harrison and I.


This little chubby bundle of joy has literally brought joy to so many people this week - especially my Grandparents. In moments when my Grandpa has been so exhausted and overwhelmed that he couldn't even talk Harrison could still make him smile. 

One of the greatest things about being a mom is watching the way my son brings so much joy wherever he goes. Harrison is overjoyed with his little life and his attitude is literally contagious. He is such a happy boy and I am thankful that he has been able to make us all smile in the midst of many tears the past week.

Grandpa had a good day today, but like I said earlier, we're just taking things one day at a time.

Tomorrow we'll go visit him and I am sure we will find things to be thankful for. 

I could get focused on how worried I am about both of my Grandparents. 

Or I could complain about how today Harrison threw up all over both of us (like really threw up, out the mouth and nose).  Or about how I spent the past two hours trying to comfort Harry while he cried inconsolably (getting two teeth at once, and not feeling well to boot, makes for one tired/cranky baby).

But after sitting down and reflecting on the things I am thankful for today, I am not worried or frustrated. I know I could let my Grandpa's health get me down, but choosing thankfulness has helped me put things in perspective. 

Today I'm choosing thankfulness, instead of _____________.

.    .    .

"Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?" Matthew 6:27 (TNIV)

"So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today's trouble is enough for today" Matthew 6:34 (NLT)

1 comment:

  1. I love your positive attitude Krysta, and I know it will help your family too! Love you!

    ReplyDelete