Thursday, March 14, 2013

Glimpse into the Future

Today my class went on a field trip with the rest of the first grade classes at my school. Field trip days are always equal parts excitement and exhaustion. Some of my students got to ride a bus for the first time today. Watching their faces and listening to their comments as we approached the "big city" were priceless.

Aside from watching over 100 kids grasping in the air for imaginary butterflies that were flying through the IMAX theater (3D), my favorite moment was on the bus-ride home.

It's going to get super corny right now, so don't say I didn't warn you! ;)

Several students fell asleep (something I wanted to do, but couldn't for obvious reasons). Nothing better than falling asleep in a moving vehicle on the freeway. 

I digress...

As I glanced over at one little boy who was completely passed out, mouth open and all, it reminded me of Harrison. This little boy looked so peaceful, and so much younger to me.  For a moment I could almost see Harrison in his sleeping face, and realized that in a very short time my baby will be a little boy. Already I find that Harry only seems like "my baby" when he's sleeping (or tired)...but I am thankful for the reminder today that no matter how old Harrison gets, he will always be "my baby". 

Seeing this all written down makes it sound even dorkier than when I was thinking about it. Prior to being a mom I would have rolled my eyes. But something's changed; having my own little person to love, nurture, and raise up into a young man has given me a new perspective.

I have no idea what the future will bring, or what kind of person Harrison will become. But I know that every night when he's fast asleep I will be able to see at least a glimpse of my sweet baby in that peaceful face.

Pretty sure when I read "Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch on Mother's Day this year, there will be no holding back the tears. It has taken on a whole new meaning to me as I've become more familiar with this whole adventure called motherhood. If you've never read the book, I recommend having a tissue ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment