Sunday, September 30, 2012

Letter: Month Eight


Dear Harrison,
You turned eight months old on Friday and your eighth tooth just broke through your gums this weekend. Just so you know, you don’t have to keep getting teeth at the same rate you’ve been going (I think you have gotten five teeth in the past six weeks, that must be some kind of record)!


I turned 27 years old on Monday and pretty much ever since then you’ve had a little cold. Thursday was the worst of it (with only about three hours of sleep) but I just laid you down for bed about an hour ago and you haven’t made a peep. I’m hoping this is the beginning of a good night’s sleep for both of us. We could use it!


Well this month has been busy to say the least. You are on the move, relatively speaking. One week shy of turning eight months old, you finally rolled from your belly to your back. And with the help of the carpet you have rolled once from your back to your belly (but we don’t really think it counts since the edge of the carpet gave you a little bit of help). When you sit on the hard wood you scoot around on your bottom now. And you can scoot in a circle and backwards when you’re on your belly. Sometimes you get in these funny “yoga-like” moves where your butt is in the air, or you’ve pushed up on your arms so far that your tummy doesn’t touch the floor (I think those moves are downward-facing-dog and the cobra, if I remember correctly). Anyway, I don’t think it’ll be long before you start moving around even more. But we are actually really thankful that you’ve been slow to get into things. It’s made it easier for your Daddy and I when it comes to baby proofing the house.

You are officially out of your infant car seat. Moving on up. Now your Daddy and I both have a car seat installed in each of our cars which means less shuffling things around when it’s time to drop you off and pick you up from Hilary and Landon’s house while I’m at work.  Plus it leaves you with more room when we’re cruising around town; you were seriously squished in your old car seat!

Speaking of Hilary and Landon, you are having the time of your life. Watching your buddy run around and play wears you out every single day. You two play with all kinds of toys, enjoy time outside, go for walks, and see more of my friends than I do! You’re a pretty popular guy and seem to enjoy all of the love and attention you’re getting. The best part is that I never once have had to worry about you while I’m at school teaching my students. Hilary loves you a ton and so does Landon. He is literally smiling and ready to play every morning when I pull in the driveway. Knowing you are happy and taken care of while your Daddy and I have to work is the greatest blessing in our lives. I thank God so much for providing us with the perfect place for you to be each day!



Aside from getting into the new school routine, all of your busy-ness lately, you getting more teeth (all of the time), and spending time with both sides of our family, we did manage to take you to your very first baseball game this month. We went the day before my birthday. It was a gorgeous day, and even though the Mariners lost, we had a great time together. We took the train from Auburn into Seattle, walked to the stadium, ate hot dogs and peanuts (and you enjoyed some baby food), and had fun cheering on the team. You even managed to squeeze in a nap, and also clapped for the first time.  We got you a poster and certificate from the stadium to commemorate your first visit to Safeco Field. I’m sure it won’t be the last time we enjoy watching baseball together – your Dad was pretty excited to share with you something he enjoyed doing as a little boy. Someday I’m sure he’ll tell you all about the day he watched some amazing thing happen in a Mariners game (way back in the 1990s sometime). I’m not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to sports, so you’ll have to ask him what it was…but I’m pretty sure it’s his favorite memory watching baseball with his own dad.


Anyway, it was a great way to wrap up the month of September. Now we are on to your first holiday season. First up is your very first Halloween, followed by Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years…and then it’ll be your FIRST BIRTHDAY at the end of January. I really cannot believe that it’s Fall and that all of the “firsts” will be here so soon. This time last year I could only imagine how fun it would be to introduce you to my favorite time of year, and now we are here.

Crazy!

Well Sweet Pea, I am wiped. The weekend is almost over and I need to get some sleep.

Thanks for being such a great baby. Even in the midst of feeling crummy, you have been full of smiles and only mildly cranky. I’m sure this is the first of many colds you’ll have in your childhood. This week certainly made me infinitely more thankful for my own Mom and all of the times she took care of me as a little girl when I was sick.

Being a mom isn’t the most glamorous job at times, but being your Mama is the best job I could ever hope for.  It’s both wonderful and exhausting, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything!

Sweet dreams Little Man. You are seriously LOVED, today and every day!!!

Love Always,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment