Saturday, January 28, 2017

Letter :: Harry :: Year Five

Dear Harry,                                                                                         

H A L F   A   D E C A D E ?!?!

How is this even possible? I really cannot wrap my mind around the fact that you’ve been alive for that long. But at the same time, I really don’t remember what it was like before you were part of our lives.

Gosh, this stage is maybe my favorite one yet! (Do I say that in every letter?!)

You are so energetic (from morning until night), but you have the ability to focus and play independently for hours. I am in awe of your imagination and the way that you can take blocks, legos, or any toy really…and create a whole world/scenario that will span galaxies and time. Your favorite characters to pretend lately include: Mario (and all of his friends), Sonic the Hedgehog, and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. You got a Nintendo for Christmas and you and Daddy have had some serious bonding time over the many games that he used to play as a little boy. In addition to Mario, Zelda seems to be one of your favorites on there.

You’re excelling in preschool and are already starting to read. You know many site words and have incredible comprehension of what you’re reading. You often make predictions and talk about how characters must be feeling based on the events in the stories we read. Based on my experience teaching first grade, I think you are beyond ready for Kindergarten and will love the learning experiences you will have next year. You also love math and numbers…we often turn everyday life into a math equation/problem (“How many more bites do I have to take?”…perfect opportunity to practice subtraction).

You’re super excited about the bus next year. I’m staying home again and have offered multiple times to drive you to school…but you emphatically remind me that “Mom (heavy sigh), Kindergarteners ride the bus, remember!”.

As hard as it is to let you go off into the big world of Elementary School…I know you’re ready for it. I’m sure next year will teach us both a lot…about time management (getting ready for school is sometimes a struggle in the mornings), problem-solving, developing friendships and being brave. I’m pretty sure I need to learn these things just as much as you do. Thanks Harry for being my greatest teacher.

We sometimes frustrate each other, but we’ve spent a lot of time offering forgiveness to one another this year. I’ve learned the power of humbling myself and admitting my sin (namely impatience and rudeness) and am so thankful for your tender heart and quickness to forgive this mama who doesn’t always get it right (and desperately needs the grace of Jesus on a daily basis).

I love you Harry. You are my firstborn, and the best big brother to Ellis. You are helpful and affectionate. You are creative and sometimes stubborn…but mostly you’re one of the most entertaining and enjoyable people I have ever met. I’m so thankful that I get to spend the hours of my days being your mama!

Love you so much our Big FIVE-year-old boy!!!

Love always,

Your Mama


No comments:

Post a Comment